Lincoln's Main Street has changed a great deal over the years!
Main Street in 1945.
This photo of the Workman Hospital on High Street (now Enfield Road) is from a postcard with a postmark from 1939.
In January 1962, Lincoln was hit with 36" of new snow in one storm!
This award-winning photo by Lee Rand shows the old Nelson Sweet house on the Lee Road. We don't know when the house was built, but Mr. Sweet was born in 1835 and died in 1925. The chimney has toppled since the photo was taken. There are many older homes in Lincoln, and some from the 1820s are still occupied today.
An early view of Main Street in Lincoln.
Here's a fine string of trout! And look at the price of gas . . .
Here's a group of Cub Scouts enjoying a get-together. See anyone you recognize?
This house at 4 Pleasant St. in Lincoln was photographed in the 1950s by Johanna DeCourcy. The picture was sent to us by Joan Lamb, who lived in the house back then.
This picture of Lincoln's railroad station was taken about 1920 by a photographer employed by the Eastern Illustrating & Publishing Company of Belfast. The houses on the right are along Stanislaus Road.
n 1950, a bridge was built over the Penobscot River connecting Lincoln Center with Chester. Before that, a ferry was available to carry passengers and their vehicles across the river. Here you can see the ferry beside the bridge that would take its place. Photo courtesy of Ida Whitney.
This house on Ayer Street in Lincoln once belonged to Harold (Hadd) Kneeland and his wife, Faith.
The wonderful old car shown above belongs to David Worcester. The parking permit sticker on the windshield is from the 1940s, and entitled the driver to park at the Eastern Fine Paper mill (now Lincoln Paper & Tissue)
What a difference a hundred years makes! Compare this photo, taken on September 12, 2007, with the one below. The road has been modified for today's traffic, and photos are now in living color.